The 5 Most Disgusting Candies Of All Time

by Will on April 2, 2010

(Image Source)

No, we’re not talking about gimmicky candy made to look like something gross (candy band-aids/scabs and the like), we are talking about candy that is trying hard to be delicious and failing miserably. The kind where when you hear that someone likes it you start looking at them a little differently.

If my wife owned up to liking any of these foods I’d have to wonder if I ever really knew her. There are many things I could forgive but I have limits. I’m only human!

Here’s our list of most disgusting candy of all time, let us know what we left out in the comments, or tell us why one of these shouldn’t have been on the list if you want us to think you’re kind of disgusting, your call. Kidding. We kid because we love. Unless you like number one in which case you’re insane and stay away from us.

5. Black Licorice

(Image Source)

I imagine black licorice is what tar tastes like. So what we have here is some tar flavored candy. The odd thing about black licorice is that there’s a delicious alternative in red licorice and so it’s really difficult to understand why anyone would go for the tar flavor if they are in a licorice mood. I’m not sure people that eat black licorice are entirely human.

4. Candy Corn

(Image Source)

My god I don’t even eat real corn. My mother bought this every Halloween and let’s just say we don’t speak. She’s dead, but you know what I’m saying.

Candy corn pumpkins can also go to hell, they don’t even make sense.

3. Whatever The Hell These Things Are

(Image Source)

Some sort of chewy peanut butter taffy from hell, you can also find these in candy corn flavor, proving once again that it’s often not enough for a candy to suck on its own, sometimes it has to compound the problem with catastrophically bad flavors. Many limited time food items are awesome (McRib) but there’s a bunch of candy that only comes out around Halloween because it’s just not good enough to stick around for the rest of the year. If you can’t hack it year round then go away weird taffy things! That’s not me speaking, that’s Charles Darwin.

2. Necco Wafers

(Image Source)

Not only do these do a really good job of impersonating chalk, they include flavors of other horrific candies including black licorice. There’s also a chocolate flavor which would probably get Necco Wafers on our list by itself even if the rest of the flavors tasted like steak.

It’s actually unbelievable we don’t have candy corn flavored Necco Wafers. I’m sure somebody’s working on this.

1. Circus Peanuts

(Image source)

I have a basset hound with a weak stomach and every time he eats I have to watch him and make sure he doesn’t follow it up with a bunch of water, because the water and kibble combo causes him to ralph all over the floor. The basset puke has an odd smell and a weird consistency that reliably makes me gag each and every time this happens.

But that’s honestly nothing compared to circus peanuts. Just the thought of these horrendous foam insulation candies makes me dry heave a little. When you’re a little kid you’ll eat any candy, no matter how off brand or weird, because hey sugar. However I can still remember on the occasions I was presented with a circus peanut, eating one or two and then immediately thinking in my addled child brain “why did I just do that? AHHHHHHHH”. This was self reflection that would become familiar later in life as an adult upon eating something gross or binging, but it was a rare moment in childhood, and one that didn’t occur lightly.

Circus peanuts are supposedly made out of marshmallow, but this seems impossible as normal marshmallows don’t typically inspire such strong feelings of loathing, even among people who don’t like them. Probably because they are banana flavored marshmallows, which just … what. Putting it mildly this was a bizarre decision for something with the word peanut in the name. While I know somebody out there is eating them or they wouldn’t continue to sell, I literally don’t know one person that doesn’t immediately recoil when the subject of circus peanuts is broached. For that reason they are easily our most disgusting candy of all time, in a rout.

{ 39 comments… read them below or add one }

Lee April 2, 2010 at 8:23 pm

You know, I honestly feel sorry for you. You have a rather sick and twisted sense of reality. First of all, while I’m not fond of most of those candies, they’re not the worse out there. Also, circus peanuts aren’t that bad. I’m sorry you have a twisted life, but don’t take it out on candies.

janadrian April 3, 2010 at 10:01 pm

circus peanuts rules motherfucker!!!!! wuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu yepa yepa!!!!!!

Fred April 6, 2010 at 7:33 pm

Ignorant fuck. Black licorice is what licorice is SUPPOSED to taste like! That red shit is just crap-flavored sugar. Go to the spice isle at your grocery store and buy some anise seeds. Taste them. THAT is where REAL licorice gets its flavor.

Stupid mouthbreathing fuck nugget.

Andrew April 7, 2010 at 7:11 am

Arney got nailed by Fred, way ta go boy!

Somebody really likes fucking black licorice. ANUS Seeds!!! they taste like that because of anus SEEDS!

deshedding May 13, 2010 at 5:11 am

I love candy corn! But I have to agree about those necco wafers. It’s like someone took whatever might be considered delicious out of Tums and gave us what was leftover.

a candy lover June 17, 2010 at 4:36 pm

I wholeheartedly agree with everything you said. None of these things deserve to be called candy.

Anonymous December 12, 2010 at 5:50 pm

If you really think black (real) licorice is that disgusting, then you’d probably hate salmiak or real tar-flavored candy even more, or how about a candy that combines the two: http://blogimg.goo.ne.jp/user_image/11/10/028b4b08afb29cb3acdab18809cd0d71.jpg

Emily April 9, 2011 at 7:28 pm

Aw I love Neco Wafers so much! Can’t get enough! Mmm! This article made me want some right now… but yea, everything else on this list sucks.

Rell84 June 18, 2011 at 1:49 pm

Yeah you got the list completly backwards. Black licorice is the worse thing ever. I’d rather eat the other four candies in this list then eat black licorice. I think its from hell.

pkkgw June 30, 2011 at 4:46 am

WTF CANDY CORN UH-UH!!! D:< dat shits good!

TW July 15, 2011 at 3:57 am

The article was hilarious and I agree whole-heartedly with your assessments of these “candy” abominations.

…but I have busted my spare gut laughing at some of the reactions in these comments. Geez. XD

Cheyne and Kayla October 17, 2011 at 3:04 pm

Cheyne: you guys take candy waaaaaay too seriously its fucking candy fat asses. Kayla:Ignore him, this bitch is crazy. I THINK CANDY CORN IS THE SHIT AND THEREFORE YOU BITCHES BETTER PLEAD THE FIFTH~!!!!!! :D also, really with the black licorice comments? I mean, that shit is nasty, whether its how licorice is supposed to taste or not, because, uh, maybe licorice is supposed to taste like shit?

Dante March 18, 2012 at 9:38 am

The fact that you think the McRib was awesome invalidated the rest of your opinion for me.

lolwut August 7, 2012 at 2:33 am

Wut da fuk> i dont evan kno whut ur fuken talkig abut!!!!!!!11 wut is goning on???? fuk i dun evn no!!!!!1

Jorge August 7, 2012 at 12:56 pm

So this where you end up by typing “black licorice tastes like ass corn” on the Google machine.

Phil September 23, 2012 at 7:18 pm

Oh, I didn’t know that we all should have your particular taste in candy if we are to “be considered entirely human”. Maybe we should all just conform to the Füher of Taste Buds… he OBVIOUSLY knows vhat ees best for ze people! Way to rag on some perfectly delicious treats (in my opinion) while dehumanizing anyone who could possibly like one of those five candies. Did it ever cross your mind that perhaps you’re the weirdo with the gross taste in candy in popular opinion?

John October 20, 2012 at 4:54 am

I’d agree with with everything except those Halloween taffy things. Don’t get me wrong I don’t think they’re good but not in the top 5 most disgusting.
I would remove them and add Peeps. Those nasty marshmallow candies that are shaped like chicks and bunnies and sold around Easter.

I think I would also say Pez should receive a mention. The dispensers are kind of neat but lets face it they’re the only reason anyone buys that nasty candy.

Brian of Nazareth October 21, 2012 at 3:57 am

I used to like candy corn… when I was a kid. But circus peanuts? Jesus H. Christ on a cracker, I never EVER liked those sonsofbitches! As for Necco wafers (especially the licorice and clove ones), I think I’ll let Roger from American Dad voice my feelings: “Those people at Necco really know how to make a disgusting candy.”

MommaM October 26, 2012 at 2:09 pm

Black licorice is one of my husbands Favorite candies. I can’t stand the smell, so it’s a special treat when I get him some. My Mom absolutely Loves Candy Corn. It’s not my fave, but I use them in making some of the cutest Halloween cookies ever. My Husband also loves Necos. It made him so happy when I found some, and gave them to him on his birthday one year. Now Circus Peanuts, YUM! That is a special treat I love, and look forward to sharing with my Mother. She often buys them on big shopping trip days, or road trips and we gobble them up so fast. They are best when not stale, and that is hard to find.

thereaverofdarkness October 31, 2012 at 7:26 pm

I like Black Licorice and Necco Wafers, though I agree they belong on this list. My taste for them is an eccentric one–I’m just fascinated by those interesting flavors you don’t get in other candies. I also like Bertie Bot’s Jelly Beans.

I don’t think Candy Corn tastes bad, it just tastes like sugar to me. But the wax!! There’s WAY too much of it! I’m fine eating one or two of them, but after about five, I’m ready to put them far away from me. And this is coming from someone who is known to eat multiple pounds of candy in a day!

I’m unfamiliar with the taffy, though I’ve never had a taffy I didn’t like. But I wouldn’t be surprised if there was one.

But Circus Peanuts are an abomination! It’s not hard to make good marshmallow candies. I just can’t understand why people would buy those, even back when better marshmallow candies didn’t exist. I’d rather only have hard candies than ever eat one of those.

ricky November 8, 2012 at 5:25 am

what i find funny is that people who HATE black licorice LOVE Barq’s and other various root beers. They’re the same flavor, except the root beers usually also have vanilla

Penny December 21, 2012 at 5:30 am

All five of these candies are gross, and I’d say the list order is accurate. Give me Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups any day.

Anthony April 29, 2013 at 5:43 am

The only one I don’t like is black licorice.

Savannah April 29, 2013 at 8:05 pm

You all are crazy! I love black licorice, candy corn, and neco wafers! I mean, black licorice is so fucking amazing. It’s like a gift from the heavens! I guess it does help that I’m Dutch…

Anti-Fred May 14, 2013 at 4:26 pm

Wow Fred really got offended by our hate of black liquorice. Haha. Really can’t imagine someone getting so worked out up over this. Take it easy man. It’s JUST liquorice.

Brian May 20, 2013 at 3:01 am

Seriously, everyone on here who is insulting the guys OPINIONS over FUCKING CANDY are pathetic and flat out psychotic. What is wrong with you people these days. Is the world really full of so many idiots? Grow up and elarn to respect an opinion. Especially opinions about food….

You people disgust me more than black licorice and Circus peanuts.

Brian May 20, 2013 at 3:03 am

TYPO EDIT:

Seriously, everyone on here who is insulting the guys OPINIONS over FUCKING CANDY are pathetic and flat out psychotic. What is wrong with you people these days? Is the world really full of so many idiots? Grow up and learn to respect an opinion. Especially opinions about food….

You people disgust me more than black Licorice and Circus peanuts.

JJ June 23, 2013 at 11:38 pm

Wow @ all the grumpy comments… So hilarious how people become enraged by reading a few words and yeah it seems that there are so many idiots who think that everyone should think like them…

I just actually cried with laughter reading this, I also happen to love black liquorish but totally understand what you are saying and it hurt with laughter when you said it was what you imagined tar to be.

And candy corn is so nasty. I don’t understand it.

love this article

Fred am dumb July 28, 2013 at 11:35 pm

Hey Fred–real black licorice is NOT flavored from anise seeds. It’s flavored from licorice root; it’s its own plant. Anise does taste kind of like licorice (but then, so too does fennel). While red licorice indeed contains no licorice, I’m pretty sure that’s by design. Somebody paid good money for that rope-candy extruding machine and figured they’d try marketing something alongside the licorice for people who don’t like the taste of cat feces.

Dave July 31, 2013 at 9:16 pm

major lol @ all these ass ravaged pantywaists commenting negatively.

If your disgusting candy is that precious to you, why don’t you shove it up your ass. I’m sure it would improve their flavor.

dee doo September 1, 2013 at 2:00 am

my daughter looks like a circus peanut

3345 November 1, 2013 at 11:10 am

Have you ever had REAL GOOD BLACK LICORICE?
Twizzlers is alright but I’m talking about a discontinued product, Callard & Bowser’s licorice. They made
The
Best
Licorice.
Individually wrapped too. Damn I loved this candy when I was a kid (early 2000s).

You wouldn’t know though would you. Because you posted a picture of cheap licorice.
Secondly, how about you research what the hell the candy is for number 3. They are called MARY JANES, and during Halloween they sell them in halloween wrappers. An old candy, it is made with molasses and peanut butter.

This article is garbage just for you not even researching what the 3rd item was. Complete utter garbage. Why were you even allowed to write an article on candy? Clearly you have no idea.

Alex January 1, 2014 at 3:42 am

I really appreciate a good (black) liquorice. Red licorice isn’t liquorice, it’s just called “red liquorice” because it’s the same shape as commonly sourced (black) liquorice. It’s a flavour, not a shape. Liquorice is flavoured from liquorice plant extracts or anise seeds.

And yes, anywhere in the world except America it’s just called “Liquorice”. The black prefix seems to be due to the USAs constant need to mix, match, and destroy cultural icons, and then be so confused with what’s what that it gets identified by colour rather than taste. You bastards.

Eren February 4, 2014 at 1:35 pm

Oh God, the artical and the comments are so funny! And i agree about liqourice. That thing almost ruined my vacation in Germany.

9 Out of 10 Candy Lover's Agree March 22, 2014 at 9:05 pm

The writer is nuts! I LOVE all of those candies listed. Matter of fact, I stumbled across this page as I was finishing a mini-roll of Necco Wafers while looking to get some more! And Circus Peanuts? I haven’t seen those in years, now I want some!

a person June 27, 2014 at 4:35 pm

Yeah, I don’t like black licorice either, but it is actaully one of the older candies around. Though it can be flavored with anise or fennel, it is primarily flavored with licorice root, hence the name. The name comes from the plant. The plant came first. Red licorice was made as an alternative candy using the same process as blace licorice wheels or vines, just without the licorice root. Fun fact: licorice actually has many usefull pharmacological properties, such as opening up the lung, acting as an expectorant, and just helping with general upper respitory probelms, and plain old licorice root can be chewed as an aid to quit smoking…. just don’t eat it (even the candy) if you have heart problem, because the active compound in licorice (which is also what makes it sweet, not normal suger or high fructose corn syrup) can also cause ones blood pressure to rise if you eat too much…. its actually a very fascinating plant, to bad it tastes nasty…. (oddly enough, I actually like the taste of anise and fennel and wormwood, but something about licorice just rubs my taste buds the wrong way;)

Jade September 13, 2014 at 4:45 pm

I totally agree with this whole list. Even as a kid, when I saw Circus peanuts, just the look of them made me not eat them. I never really jumped at the chance just because a candy was sugar. I had a aunt who used to also always get candycorn and the weird pumpkin corns for halloween. She used to put them in ziplock bags with other treats to give me, I can clearly remember the first time I ate one, I must have had this horrid look on my face as I chewed it. I immediately got a headache the moment I started chewing it ewww. Never ate it again, but I didnt whine about it to my aunt cause I didn’t want to make her feel bad so she continued to put them in my treat bag every year until I was old enough that I didn’t trick or treat anymore. I can’t stand any type of licorice, I just recently was given a bag of twizzlers because well, they didn’t want them. I tried one just to see if I still hated licorice and YEP sure do. I took just one bite and ended up spitting it into the trash.I also remember those metallic wrapper candies of unknown flavors… some sort of Taffy… also can’t stand taffy. I clearly remember the first introduction to taffy as well. Salt Water taffy from some vacation trip. I had the same horrid face as I chewed it as well, my grandma laughed at my reaction.Also can’t stand jelly beans. I suppose my taste in candy is very small. I like most milk chocolate hershey products (Reese, Snickers, Mr GoodBar, Babe Ruths), stuff like KitKats, I like regular old hard candies like jolly ranchers, lemon heads, peppermints. I enjoy a Payday every now and then. Also I love cotton candy. I loate anything that Russel Stoffers makes, and I am always given some every Valentines day but I don’t like to make people feel bad so I don’t just say “I hate these candies!”. I enjoy the box with the flower more than the candy and I use it for some silly art stuff. Don’t listen to the people saying you are crazy.. it sounds like they will eat anything and you’re right, they might not be human. XD

Duff September 19, 2014 at 1:34 pm

I totally agree with this ENTIRE list. I would also add Peeps (but that’s just me) and Orange slices. I have havent’ met a person under 65 who actually likes those things.

Penny September 26, 2014 at 3:09 am

This list couldn’t be more accurate. I had four of these dancing around my head even before scrolling down to discover them. As for the black and orange taffy things, they always looked too suspicious for me to even try. Call me boring, but I’ve always handed out little bundles of mini Snickers, Nestle Crunch, and Reese’s peanut Butter cups on Halloween and they seemed to go over well.